Hurghada - Red Sea, Egypt

My experience with Hurghada is limited to the Makadi Bay area, where we find the best reef accessible from the beach and consequently the best snorkeling experience available directly from your hotel. I have been there in April and December; in both cases the water was great.

The hotel choice is not that important since you can go on the beach, move between resorts and swim anywhere. I stayed at the Fort Arabesque and Sunrise Royal Makadi resorts, both are very good, Fort Arabesque has the most beautiful and longest reef, a real paradise for underwater life lovers.




A very important thing to know about Makadi Bay is that here you get into the water directly from the beach, not by using a pier (like you would in Sharm el Sheikh).




I saw over 100 species of fish (I will come back to this with more details), including one shark (!), squids, octopus, sea anemones, beside colorful corals and other interesting invertebrates.






How we get to Hurghada:

One solution are the charter flights from travel agencies (which fly directly to the Hurghada airport), and if you want to go on your own, Turkish Airlines has daily flights from Istanbul. For the airport transfer I used Hurghadatransfer.


 
Also available are snorkeling trips (cruises); the one I went to brought us to two places with extremely spectacular reefs, but the time you can actually spend in the water (about 30-40 minutes in each of the two locations) is short compared to the length of the journey so I'm not sure if it's worth doing.






My Shutterstock photos
Underwater collection on Adobe Stock
Dreamstime portfolio

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Sea Species / Specii din Marea Rosie

Hurghada - Marea Rosie, Egipt

Zakynthos, Grecia