Jellyfish

I want to share my experience for people (like me) with a passion for jellyfish.
The most beautiful and rare species to find - Geryonia proboscidalis (Hydrozoa) I saw in Cyprus, Protaras, between the end of May and the start of June.






Some special jellyfish - Comb jellyfish (Ctenophora), I had the opportunity to meet in big numbers in Egypt (at the end of April) in Sharm el Sheikh.
I am fascinated by the colors they have due to the microcilia which diffract color, but do not sting.










A very common species, but with a special coloring in the Red Sea - pink, mauve - is Aurelia Aurita (Moon Jellyfish) - which you can meet in big numbers in Egypt in April - Mars (in Hurghada and Sharm el Sheikh).  This is also a species which is harmless to humans.


Unlike them, a very stingy jellyfish, with extremely unpleasant effects (intense pain, followed by days of itching and scarring) - Pelagia Noctiluca  (Mauve stinger)- is a very common occurrence in the Mediterranean (Greece - Corfu, Italia - Capri, Cinque Terre) all around the year (June to September).







Jellyfish sting:
  In a few days:
 
Another species I saw in the Mediterranean Sea during the summer (Greece - Skiathos, Spain - Costa Brava) is Cotylorhiza tuberculata (Fried Egg Jellyfish).




My Shutterstock photos
Underwater collection on Adobe Stock
Dreamstime portfolio

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Sea Species / Specii din Marea Rosie

Hurghada - Marea Rosie, Egipt

Zakynthos, Grecia